Friday, August 20, 2010

Could you particular individuals please stop ranting about declawing to people not asking about it?

declawing a cat is a personal choice an is legal in the USA and people asking questions not pertaining to peoples opinons about declawing thier cat should keep their opinions to themself. i mean really do you always go out of your way when you get an oportunity to make someones elses day worse? have you never done anything that anyone else would disagree with? the point is nobody asked you your opinion about how bad you think declawing is!Could you particular individuals please stop ranting about declawing to people not asking about it?
When something I consider abuse of animals or small children is involved then I will speak up even when not asked for my opinion. A cat may legally be the property of the owner, and yes, legally it's the owner's choice to declaw it or even kill it (as long as it is done by bringing it to a vet and not torturing it to death). However in addition to being property a cat is also a living creature! If I hear someone is about to declaw their cat, I will do my best to convince them otherwise.





I strongly believe one of the reasons declawing is still legal and a common practice in the US is that many people simply don't know what it does. The very name is misleading; deCLAWing as if just the nail is clipped, while instead a piece of bone is amputated. If you read some of the questions here, as well as some of posts on the various other cat forums, you'll realise many people are NOT aware of this! I've seen plenty of people post who brought their cat to the vet thinking only the nail would be 'clipped', and who were shocked to get their cat back in pain and bleeding. Some vets apparently don't bother to inform their clients at all about what it entails. Some vets don't even mention *any* risk of complications, or the fact that there are alternatives! That is just wrong and if I can help inform people then I will do so.





I agree that calling people names, and especially flaming someone in a completely unrelated question; I don't do that. Apart from being rude, it's ineffective, even when someone doesn't know declawing is really an amputation, they're not likely to read %26amp; consider my arguments if I call them an abusive idiot in the first place.





(edited: just looked up the question about the screens and you're completely right about the reactions on that one, it doesn't even say the asker was the one to declaw the cat. Many, many cats change owners at some time in their life).Could you particular individuals please stop ranting about declawing to people not asking about it?
It's legal, but that doesn't make it good. It may be a personal choice, but that doesn't mean it should pass without comment. Declawing is a terrible thing to do to a cat. I'm not even that interested in the issue and I recognize that.
I don't think it is anyone's ';mission'; to tell people how to answer questions. Is this supposed to be a ';politically correct'; forum or a forum to discuss questions and answers freely? Do you think you're the ';Answers'; police? I also don't think it is right to ';blast'; someone's answer just because you don't agree with it. Hooray for the differences!
People can I suppose make all the bad choices they want, but then don't come asking here afterwards as to all the very well documented bad after-effects.


This is a public and open Q%26amp;A, don't tell us how to reply to questions, if they don't want to know, don't ask, simple.


We can put any answer we think is pertinent, you have no right to tell us otherwise. You put down what you think, we do the same.





It's not about making people feel bad, but making them realise that it may be their legal right to make that decision, but it's not necessarily a right or smart to make that choice, and now they know why, first hand. If more people did their research we wouldn't have so many questions that pertain to unpleasant after-effects and results of declawing, which is what most of them are about that you complain about.


Oh hang on, aren't you the one who thinks declawing and fixing are on the same par? Now it doesn't surprise me half as much....





I have an opinion about declawing, and voice it, Jessica simply links back to her sex-crazed page at AOL, but I guess that's way too much to grasp, dude.
Ok so declawing in the USA is legal but that doesnt make it right, think about it cats are born with claws therefore they must need them!! besides what gives people the right to decide what parts of their pet should be amputated, they are creatures with feelings not just our property to do whatever we want with. if cats could speak im pretty sure they would object to having the op done especially for human convinience!! people should love their cats for what they are claws and all!!! believe me it makes my day worse when i hear of another innocent kitty that has had part of its body snatched away from it, so in all honesty its people like you that should keep their opinions to themselves or at least think before you speak!
As if them bit*hing about it wasn't enough, you posting it as a question has REALLY made the situation MUCH better!


Thanks
Im sorry if someone has upset you over the declawing issue. I guess if it makes your day worse that you are ambivalent over it. Here in Australia it IS illegal, the reason being that a declawed cat is totally defenceless and cant protect itself against other cats, cant use its claws to climb a tree etc. Im sure you know all of that. I have a pink skinned white cat, and the vet has told me to make sure she spends most of her life inside, as she will be susceptible to skin cancer. My furniture is scratched up the sides from her clawing at it..... but even so if declawing was legal, I still wouldnt do it. I think cats have claws for a reason. On the plus side... if you have a declawed cat who spends its whole life inside, it will live a much longer healthier life than one which goes outside.
I'm sorry that you feel aggravated and if this is in response to my previous post then I apologize.





My response to the neuter/spay question was actually an attack on generalization not procedure.





If someone is going to generalize on here, I think it's important for them to know the facts about what they are generalizing.





I think saying something like: ';All Americans are for declawing'; is just as bad as saying: ';All animal right's activists are insane.';





It doesn't prove or solve anything.





As for personal opinions on declawing: 99.9% of times I have answered questions in relation to what a persons personal opinion was on the procedure.





If someone is considering any kind of advice, they should have every right to be informed of both pros/cons of what they ask. I think that's partially the point of YA's though, don't you?





To get multiple perspectives on a topic.





--


I don't think I caught that question or the answers for it. I'll try to look for it on here; I have a hard time keeping up with this thing at times. :T
On my other account that's suspended I asked how old a cat needed to be in order to be declawed. I had one good answer that told me 6 months or when taken in for neutering out of 34 answers. My new kitten scratches my 5 year old on the face and hands to the point where he is scared of the kitten. If he needs to be declawed to live with us then so be it.My older cat was declawed at 2 years old and I just was not sure of the right age and didn't want to waste money going to the vet and sent back home for a hundred bucks. The anti-declaw activists need to understand where other people are coming from before they start up . If they'd just read the entire question instead of just seeing ';DECLAW'; then I may get a decent answer out of this network.

No comments:

Post a Comment