Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Do you remember 10 years ago when Christian Fundamentalists ranted against Pokemon?

It's similar to the ranting against Harry Potter.Do you remember 10 years ago when Christian Fundamentalists ranted against Pokemon?
Yes, I do. There was a big uproar in Colorado Springs, Colorado (aka Fundie Heaven in the Rockies), where I was living at the time; some minister scared a bunch of kids to death (not to mention confusing them completely) with his fire and brimstone sermons about Pokemon. He started mutilating a Pokemon toy in the course of the service on a pretty regular basis, and the reporters started showing up. He thought they were going to talk about how great his sermons were...sigh; not the sharpest knife in the drawer.Do you remember 10 years ago when Christian Fundamentalists ranted against Pokemon?
It's always something. Let me tell you, I grew up with VERY conservative Christian parents, and through the years I remember not being allowed to watch Masters of the Universe, the Smurfs, ummm, Power Rangers... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... I can hardly remember all the stuff that was banned in my house. Also, I have never owned a Barbie (because they give girls an unrealistic expectation of what women should look like)... and I'm pretty sure I couldn't even read books like the Babysitter's club because the girls liked to talk about Boyfriends and Makeup and such horrible things as that. I love my parents to death, and I came out as a pretty good person, but... seriously. With my own son there are a lot of things I don't want him watching, like shows where kids are disrespectful, or that have bad language (my kid is only 6), that kind of thing, but I just don't feel the need to shelter him from every single thing that could possibly contain some reference to something I disagree with. Different strokes for different folks...
I do remember and I see your point.





See also their past (and even current) rantings of the following:





Dungeons and Dragons





Magic The Gather (the Card Game)





Ouija Boards





Star Wars





Celebrating Halloween





Rock 'N Roll





Supposedly, all of those things will lead you to ';The Devil';.





Watch out! :)
Yes, I do:





';I knew little about Pokemon. My first exposure was when my son won a Pokemon GameBoy. I let them watch the show. Then my 9 year old began to play and it was all he did. I became concerned and watched the show for myself. It was appalling. The boy was ';possessed'; (their word). He was levitating. An evil ghost was trying to take them away. Two of the older boys were becoming charmed by this ghost. The girl tried to scare the ghost away using various charms, garlic, etc, and finally pulled out a cross. I do not like the cross being on the same level as just another charm. It belittles what Jesus did for us. I threw the GameBoy cartridges in the burn barrel, much to the dismay of their classmates. I just could not in good conscience promote this by giving them away. It is not just a cartoon, and they ARE directly assaulting our children and beliefs. We are influenced by what we see. Just ask the advertisers.';





http://christiananswers.net/spotlight/tv鈥?/a>





Another comment - this one about the show's title sequence:





';A little girl is running towards the viewer, being chased by something, then, as she gets closer a chipmunk type character runs between her legs %26amp; toward the viewer. As it goes between her legs, its tail brushes her crutch directly. She stops, crosses her legs, puts her hands between them %26amp; hangs her head.





Suddenly, the scene changes to 4 adult characters who fold their arms %26amp; nod(as if in approval) in unison. The thing is, one is a doctor, one a nurse, one a policeman %26amp; one a housewife type figure. The last scene is of a red dragon breathing fire.





Scary stuff. ';
Funnymentalist will rant against just about anything, like when Jerry Falwell said the purple Teletuby was gay because he had a triangle on his head. (Everyone knows the chartreuse Teletuby was the gay one.)
I hope this isn't still occurring because if so, I'm going to have to hide my vast collector's trading card binder, and my Pikachu boxers (which I really do own, by the way).
Actually, no, I don't. But I do remember James Dobson accusing Sponge Bob of being gay.





That's when we started calling him, Sponge Dobson.
Good news everyone!





Different year, different topic to rant against.





But you forgot to mention The DaVinci Code too...
no i dont remember actually...details?
LOL... I don't recall that. Then again, I was 13 and pretty much just didn't give a hoot about Pokemon or religion.
lol thats hilarious.
They're still down on little Pikachu.
And Tinky Winky was NOT gay - just curious.
No matter how many years go by, the Fundies are still crazy.
Nope that was the purple triangle head Teletubbie!! Wheeee
Ok, and your point?
no what is that??

No comments:

Post a Comment